San Antonio Texas History
San Antonio is the only major city in Texas to trace its history back to the 18th century, and it still has many of its historic buildings and landmarks from that time, such as the San Antonio Convention Center.
San Antonio has been a cosmopolitan center for much of its history, where several cultures converged and coexisted, such as the native Indians, the Coahuiltecans, and the German settlers who fled the revolutions in Europe. Anglo-American settlers began to settle in the city after Mexico gained independence from Spain in 1821 and again after the Spanish Civil War.
They also founded the settlement that soon became known as San Antonio. Four days later, they founded the city's first public school, the first high school in the United States, and the first hospital.
The first extension was on the eastern bank of the San Antonio River and included both the Alamo and Alabo Plaza. Across the river, the city's first public hospital, now called UT Health San Francisco, was founded to convert the Indian population to Christianity. Soon after, the construction of the present Alamo began and soon after, the second hospital.
Catholic missionaries along the San Antonio River founded six missions in San Jose in the early 17th century. The Spanish mission complex, now known as Alamo, was the first mission founded in 1718 and the second in 1817. The first was known as "San Antonio Valero" until the beginning of the 19th century and then as "Alamo" from 1818 to 1820.
Spanish priests founded the mission complex, the most famous of which is probably the Alamo. Originally called Mision San Antonio Valero, it was built for Catholic missionaries whose aim was to spread Christianity among the locals. In 1793, the secularization of the missions began with the construction of a military barracks at the San Jose Mission and later the "San Antonio Valero Mission" (later known as the "Alamo"), which became the military barracks at the beginning of the 19th century.
After the evacuation of the Mexican armed forces, Bexar County was founded by the Republic of Texas in December 1836 and chartered to San Antonio in January 1837. After it had passed Galveston in 1850, it became the second largest city in Texas and the third largest city in the United States. When the state legislature created the department "Texas along the Brazos," it served as the seat of government. The city experienced a period of rapid growth from the 1850s to the 1860s, when it became the largest city in Texas, ahead of Galvin.
The Daughters of the Republic of Texas in San Antonio created a genealogical register during the celebrations of the 100th anniversary of the state in 1936. Although the Alamo was claimed at various times, it was designated the Texas State Shrine and administered by the Texas General Land Office from 1937 to 1978. It was called that way in 1978, and in 2015 it became the first such designation in Texas.
In 1773, San Antonio (BA (c) xar) became the capital of Spanish Texas and had 2060 inhabitants until 1778. The Mexican armed forces evacuated Bexar in December of that year, and in January 1837 the Republic of Texas was founded, in which San Antonio served as the short-lived capital until January 18, 37.
Mexican troops returned to take control of the city, leaving Texas leaders like Sam Houston to encourage Texans to retreat to San Antonio. During the Texas Revolution, San Antonio was the scene of several battles, including the Battle of Alamo on March 6, 1836, which made it the most contested city in Texas history. Once again, it became a critical site in critical campaigns during the Texas Revolution, including the Battle of Bexar in December 1837, in which Texas troops wrested control of it from Mexican defenses. During and after the Dallas-Fort Worth War of 1835-1838, during which San Austin fought several battles, including the battles of San Marcos (CA (b) on November 14, 1787 and San Juan Bautista (BBA (c) in 1839).
After the evacuation of the Mexican forces in December 1836, the Republic of Texas organized the district of Bexar and San Antonio was chartered as its headquarters. After the Battle of Alamo on March 6, 1837 and the capture of San Juan Bautista by Mexican troops in November of the same year, it was re-organized and chartered as a municipal center in March 1838. After the evacuation of Mexican forces in December 1835, the defeat of Mexico by Texas troops at San Marcos (CA (b) on November 14, 1787), and the Battle of BEXar (BBA (c) in April 1839, B Exar, Texas, was organized by the Texas Republicans and chartered as a seat on May 1, 1840 from San Jose, California.
The Alamo was built to be the center of the Mission of San Antonio de Valero, founded in 1718, and the location of the church was chosen in 1835, when the Captain of Presidio de San Jose, Jose de la Cruz, laid out a central square in the center of what was then known as "San Antonio." In the 1850s there was an initial population of about 2,000 people and a population of over 1,500. Since its beginnings, the city has had a number of different names, such as Bexar, San Marcos or San Juan Bautista. The development began on land originally used for agriculture and owned by the Mission of San Antonio and Valeros (the "Alamo") and later by the Texas Rangers.